Cake Bakin' and Leaf Rakin'

Tis season to rake all those leaves that have been piling up outside. I managed to snag a few quick pics while Jim and his brother, Joe were outside raking the leaves with the boys over the weekend. It was pretty crisp out there, but they had a blast.




Cal -

Caden -

Conor -






Daddy and Caden with their matching chainsaws -


Cal and I were playing peek-a-boo...his fav! Ha :)




Also, tis the season to warm up those ovens and bake some sweets, right?  I've baked a few pies and cakes over the last few weeks, and I am still trying to think of something fun to bring down the Cape for Thanksgiving on Thursday. I skipped the frosting part because you know, having three toddlers kind of hinders my cake-baking time, so I used a package from the store.  I may re-do this cake recipe and add some crushed Oreo cookies to the top this time! It was supposed to be two tiers, but the larger one collapsed...so me, Conor and Caden ate the "brownies". Ha fail?

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup baking cocoa
1 cup boiling water
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
2-1/2 cups sugar
4 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups cake flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream


DIRECTIONS:

Dissolve cocoa in water; set aside. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Add vanilla. Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with cocoa mixture and sour cream. Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round cake pans. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.  I made two different size circle pans - so the larger one didn't make it. 

This was us baking the cake - with our "baking hats" on...lol



Also - here's some more of what we've been up to lately. I often make the boys "protein" milkshakes - and when I do, they share with Cal. I think it's adorable and Cal feels included.


Preschool pickup last Friday:


My Cal.

The aquarium, also known as Petco.



Visiting Papa at work!

Conor -

Caden -


We are planning to kick off Thanksgiving once again in Cape Cod either Wednesday or Thursday. I am hoping Wednesday traffic isn't too bad after work!

Have a wonderful, plentiful, and safe holiday everyone!

xo,
Shaz

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This is What Miscarriage Looks Like…

Cals Feb Vacation journal

Read Across America Week!